Skip to content

MoonWalk Bra

June 15, 2016

Recently I was asked to adjust the length of three bridesmaid’s dresses, and when I went to measure up and pin to the correct length, one of the bridesmaids asked if I could customise her bra for a charity walk she was doing: the MoonWalk in Edinburgh, organised by a charity called Walk the Walk – apparently the largest grant making breast cancer charity in the UK.  People taking part in this walk wear only bras on their top halves, and they decorate them in all sorts of fun ways!

I was given a beige bra, some fabric, and an inspiration picture from Pinterest (below).  Oh, and a deadline of one week!

This is the inspiration image from Pinterest - notice the complete lack of pattern matching!

This is the inspiration image from Pinterest – notice the complete lack of pattern matching!

I must admit that this little project turned out to be a lot trickier than I at first thought – for instance, the bra still needed to be able to stretch, so I’d need to use a triple zig zag stitch.  I bought some velvet ribbon to accessorise the bra, but realised I’d only be able to use this on the cups because it was non stretch, so I bought elastic for the back and shirring elastic for the straps.

I started by sewing a few lines of gathering stitches along the selvedge of the fabric, so that I could have a raw edge along the top that wouldn’t fray.  I distributed the gathers as evenly as I could and attached it to the top of the bra, then sewed some more gathering stitches along the bottom edge of this, positioned them to fit and pinned it all in place before sewing, tucking the raw edges under on the inside of the bra at the bottom.

The bra was underwired, so when it came to sewing the fabric down at the bottom band, I had to mostly hand sew, and at points I used my machine but operated it with the hand wheel only, to ensure the needle was going where I wanted it to go.  The machine sewing was tricky because with the foam cups, underwire, and gathered fabric, it was pretty thick and uneven!  After the fabric was stitched into place, I then hand sewed the velvet ribbon to the bottom, which helped to cover up the stitches!

Part-way through - hand sewing the velvet ribbon to the bottom to cover up the stitching.

Part-way through – hand sewing the velvet ribbon to the bottom to cover up the stitching.

For the straps, I cut long strips of tartan fabric with pinking shears, then sewed two lines of shirring elastic down the length to gather them up, then triple zig-zagged these strips to the straps, skipping stitching over the metal bra adjusters and loops.  I added the two bows at the base of the straps as a little finishing touch.

Finished bra!

Finished bra!

Pretty bows

Pretty bows

Overall, it’s not the neatest thing I’ve ever made, but I think the effect is good and it should serve its purpose!  It was certainly a fun thing to make!

On the mannequin

On the mannequin

6 Comments leave one →
  1. June 15, 2016 11:55 am

    Brilliant. Better than the picture you were given. Great cause and she will feel amazing wearing it. Well done you K xXx

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      June 16, 2016 8:58 am

      Thank you although I’m not sure it’s better! It was a fiddly project but fun, too.

  2. Lynsey permalink
    June 16, 2016 7:26 am

    Looks super, I’d wear a bra like that. Doing something different can be so enjoyable.

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      June 16, 2016 8:59 am

      It is definitely more fun than the plain beige bra it started off as!

  3. June 16, 2016 12:08 pm

    It looks great!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: