The Ziggy Dress
I have named my latest finished sewing project the Ziggy dress, because a) it is zig zag print and b) it’s a reference to David Bowie. The news of his death broke the morning after I had laid out this fabric to begin sewing, and as I was making it I listened to a lot of Bowie on the radio. What an extraordinarily talented, interesting and downright cool musician he was. May he rest in peace.
So this fabric is one I bought on a Leeds sewing meet-up in 2014, I think. It was 55″ wide and I bought 3 metres, so I decided to make the most of the width of the fabric and make a dress with a circle skirt. I chose Simplicity Amazing Fit 1606. As it turns out, the pattern is only a half circle skirt, but it’s big enough to wear a huge poofy petticoat underneath, so it’s still a winner.
I first used this pattern to make my 50s style halterneck dress, and then I used it again to make my red lace overlay dress. Both of these dresses have been worn to weddings and both are very special to me. This version is a bit less fancy, and consequently more wearable. It still has nice little details though, such as the back opening, which fastens with a little button at the top, and the zip starts further down. The pattern instructs you to do a centered zip, but I much prefer lapped zips and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
I was lazy when fitting this dress, in that I basically didn’t bother: I just cut the same size as the last two times. It seems I might have changed shape again since then, since the bodice looks a teeny bit bigger than I anticipated it would. The top half of me seems to change shape a lot more easily than the bottom half!
In these photos I am wearing a black linen bolero jacket I made in 2014. I used a Built By Wendy pattern for it to start with, but changed the shape. It’s really simple and plain but it does look nice with the right dress.
In terms of finishing – the bodice is lined with white cotton, and the seams are mostly pinked as I thought that would keep the zig zag theme going. I did overlock the centre back seam, though, and the seam where the bodice meets the skirt. I machine stitched the hem after letting it hang for about a week (not necessary to leave it that long – just didn’t get around to it!).
I really like how the linear pattern looks curvy due to the cut of the skirt. And I know I’m going to sound like a massive sewing geek, but I actually found it fun doing the pattern matching of seams on this dress, and immensely satisfying to get such good results!
I’m very happy with my new dress!