Skip to content

My July Minerva Make – Anchor print summer dress

July 28, 2015

Ahoy there shipmates!  Here’s my latest dress for the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network:

By Hand London Kim/New Look 6776

By Hand London Kim/New Look 6776

Minerva kindly sent me the By Hand London Kim pattern for this dress, but I only used the pattern pieces for the bodice as neither of the skirt options appealed to me.  For the skirt I used New Look 6776, which was sent to me by Minerva in April 2014 for my tape measure dress.  It’s similar to the By Hand London Flora skirt, but better in that your fabric doesn’t need to be 60″ wide.  My main fabric was 60″ wide, actually, but I also fully lined the dress with 45″ wide fabric.

The anchor print fabric is a very pale blue with narrow white vertical stripes and large royal blue anchors printed on.  I just couldn’t resist it!  However, because it is so pale and also because it’s an extremely light and floaty cotton, I had to fully line the dress rather than just lining the bodice.  Minerva sent me half a metre of polycotton lining fabric which was fine for lining the bodice, but I had to buy extra in order to line the skirt as well.

wpid-20150718_132105.jpg

The By Hand London Kim bodice pattern turned out to be a great fit.  It’s rather low cut, so if you’re not into revealing a bit of cleavage then it may not be to your taste.  It shows a tiny bit of my bra but I’m not really bothered by that!  It has a lovely low-scoop back, too.  I love how it looks.

I think the New Look skirt works really well with the Kim bodice.  I matched the pleats to the princess seams at the front to make it look proper.  I sewed the lining and main fabric pleats together as one, but sewed the side seams separately so I could hem both skirts separately too.  I recently gave a sewing lesson on blind-hemming by machine, and having practised my technique before teaching I’m now a big fan of it!  I blind hemmed my Cherry Macaron dress and I blind hemmed this dress too (although I just serged the lining).

The dress got its first outing when I wore it to a Gin Festival in Leeds!  When I got on the train, a fellow passenger asked me where I had bought it, and when I told her I made it, she exclaimed “Oh my god, it’s gorgeous!” – so that was a nice thing to hear so early in the morning!  I wore it with a separate belt for most of the day, but removed the belt later on.  I’m not sure which I prefer: with or without belt.

wpid-photogrid_1437336276870.jpg

I’m so pleased with the dress, and the pairing of the Kim bodice with New Look skirt.  I will definitely be making more of these.  I think the style would work in a more formal, dressy fabric, too.  I could imagine it in a plain duchess satin – lovely!

I had a bit of fabric leftover from this make, and also from last month’s zig zag dress, so I used the leftovers to make two very simple envelope-style cushion covers.

wpid-20150710_145331.jpg

I think they go really well with the two shop-bought nautical-themed cushions I already have, and the co-ordinating bedding:

Nautical pin-ups!

Nautical pin-ups!

Thanks to Minerva for sending me the supplies – I am continually grateful!

13 Comments leave one →
  1. July 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Ooh I’ve been eyeing up this fabric for ages! It looks lovely as a dress – I love the sweetheart neckline too, it looks really pretty on you. You definitely inspired me to get this fabric for my next make!

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Fab, looking forward to seeing what you do with it! Bear in mind it will probably need lining though – I even lined my cushion cover!

2. July 28, 2015 4:48 pm

I love anything nautical so really enjoyed reading about your dress. The anchors in dark blue on the light blue is just perfect! Sounds like you had a marvelous day at the gin fest!

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 28, 2015 8:27 pm

The Gin Festival was amazing! I love nautical-inspired clothing too so when I saw this fabric I couldn’t believe my luck!

3. July 28, 2015 5:24 pm

I love this – the anchor print is so summery! I have been tempted by the Kim dress for ages but also wasn’t in love with the skirt designs. Too many patterns and not enough time..

Louise

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks Louise! The bodice of the Kim dress is lovely and I can’t think of many other patterns that are the same, so if you had a different skirt option it might be worth the investment – but then it seems a lot to pay just for a bodice pattern. It depends on how much you like it! I know what you mean though – my sewing pattern wishlist is extremely long – I’ll never have the time or the money to sew everything I fancy!!

4. July 28, 2015 7:26 pm

This dress is fabulous – I was buying this fabric once but it went out of stock so they cancelled it… I must try to order it again now I’ve seen how it looks on! The bodice fits and suits you so well. I also love your cushions! Oh and you have the perfect necklace too!!!

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Oh no! Quick: buy buy buy! Just don’t forget the lining fabric too! I’m really pleased with my cushions – they were easy peasy but they just tone in perfectly with the other stuff!

5. July 28, 2015 9:02 pm

The dress is lovely and suits you… but please tell us more about the gin festival…

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Haha! It’s the 5th gin tasting I have been to so I’m really getting to know what gins I like now! There are some I really dislike and a LOT which aren’t anything special, but with having a Ginvent advent calendar last year as well I’ve discovered some gins which I think are amazing! You should check out the Gin Festival website. There’s one in Birmingham at the end of August!

6. July 29, 2015 2:40 am

Wow! Love this dress! The bodice is gorgeous, and goes perfectly with the skirt, so your pattern matchmaking skills are on point. 😉

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      July 29, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks… I didn’t bother matching up the print though – that would have been far too difficult! But yes – the bodice pattern and skirt pattern go really well together. I’ll definitely be making more versions of the dress!

7. July 30, 2015 11:36 am

This is fab! Not surprising that I like it because I recently made the Kim dress in anchor fabric too! It does sit quite low so I’ll be raising the bodice a little in the next one but the rest of it fits really well. Love the skirt you used.