Sew Blue February: Simplicity 2588
Wye aye man, what’s fettlin’?
I’m a bit late blogging this make, which I wanted to include for the Sewcialist’s Blue February. I do like to join in with these things and it’s fun to see what other people make, too.
Simplicity 2588 is a ‘Project Runway’ pattern and as such has lots of different design options. I opted for a fuller, pleated skirt this time, but I’m quite keen on trying the slim skirt another time. My recent Colette Macaron make has encouraged me to try more streamlined styles and I’m feeling like a bit more variety would be good.
The fabric I used is Kaffe Fassett Paper Weight in Cobalt, from Fancy Moon. It makes me think of the sea – of coral, shells, fish and brightly coloured stones. It’s a lovely fabric to work with – lighter than quilting cotton and nice to handle.
The dress was straightforward to sew. There were quite a lot of pattern pieces, so it did take a good few hours to cut and sew. I did a Full Bust Adjustment of 1/2″ per side for this dress, and I’m reasonably happy with how it turned out.
I added waist tabs on to the dress because I really like that extra bit of detail and it gave me the opportunity to use these totally awesome buttons!
When I did my final trying-on I just happened to be wearing red tights, and I think they work really well with the dress. I really love the pockets. They are quite large and just in the perfect position.
What do you think?
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)