Skip to content

White satin flower girl dress!

December 2, 2013

Earlier this summer, whilst at a friend’s BBQ, Little Tweedie’s handmade dress was getting a lot of admiration, and as a result, a friend of the hosts asked me if I might consider making three flower girl dresses for her wedding next year.  We talked through what she might like, and I decided to make a sample dress that I could later give to another little girl of my acquaintance on her third birthday 😉

The dress - front view

The dress – front view

Back view

Back view

At the next social gathering, I presented to her the above beautiful white satin dress with red satin sash.  Not only did she like it, but the mothers of two of the flower girls also liked it, and so it was decided that I would indeed make the dresses for her wedding.

The dress - from underneath!

The dress – from underneath!

Bias-bound, hand stitched hem for the satin and machine stitched hem for the lining

Bias-bound, hand stitched hem for the satin and machine stitched hem for the lining

The dress is made with white crepe-backed satin and is fully lined with anti-static polyester lining.  The sash is a wide red satin ribbon.  The hem is bias-bound and hand-stitched.  I made a dust cover too to keep the dress clean and safe!

The label - very important!  It had to be backed to prevent it showing through to the right side of the dress!

The label – very important! It had to be backed with extra white fabric to prevent it showing through to the right side of the dress!

The dust cover - just made with calico and machine-embroidered

The dust cover – just made with calico and machine-embroidered

I haven’t started working on the dresses yet as the bride had not fully decided on her colour scheme, and she has recently got a new job and is moving to London, and is therefore putting her wedding on hold for the moment.  Still, it’s very exciting to be contributing to someone’s special day, whenever it may be!

This photo captures the slight shimmer of the satin in electric light

This photo captures the slight shimmer of the satin in electric light

11 Comments leave one →
  1. December 3, 2013 7:06 am

    Beautiful. My friend just bought crepe backed satin and wants me to make her granddaughters a dress each, with velvet boleros. I’ve never sewn (a) little girls’ clothing, (b) crepe backed satin, or (c) velvet. I don’t even know which is the right side of the satin – nor that it would need an anti-static lining. This project is growing by the minute. 😆

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 3, 2013 8:32 am

      Heh! Usually the shimmery side is the right side and the dull, textured side is the wrong side. It doesn’t technically *need* lining, but I think it’s nice to have a little bit of extra flounce! I have never sewn velvet before, so no tips there. The good thing about sewing little girl’s clothing is that it is easier because there aren’t (usually) any darts and everything is on a smaller scale. Good luck though – hope it all goes well!

      • December 4, 2013 3:22 am

        Well, I’m about to jump right in the middle of it, so here goes!! 😆

  2. December 3, 2013 11:04 pm

    wow, so cute, and so simple and classy

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 3, 2013 11:10 pm

      Thank you. The dress is a really simple design but I think the fabric really makes it special.

  3. December 4, 2013 10:20 pm

    The girls will look amazing in these dresses, so cute! And I am amazed that you even made a cover for it, so thoughtful.And I didn’t know that you can buy anti-static lining, thanks for the tip!

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 4, 2013 10:43 pm

      Thanks. I felt obliged to make a cover – I needed to keep the dress in pristine condition!

  4. anne carter permalink
    December 4, 2013 11:54 pm

    Really lovely dress – it looks so professional! Glad to see that your talents have been recognised. A quick word on the sewing of velvet – all I know is to get the nap going the same way. Many moons ago in my youth, I made a lovely needlecord dress and felt very smug with my efforts until I saw that the nap went a different way on the front than the back. Doh! I think the same goes for velvet. Maybe this was why I took up quilting instead of dressmaking!

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 5, 2013 12:10 am

      Thank you Anne! Hahaha, talking of having the nap the wrong way – watch this space because my next blog post is going to feature some accidental upside-down print! D’oh! So easily done in a moment’s inattention…

  5. December 14, 2013 11:26 pm

    Really simple and wonderful. Can you tell me which pattern you used, or was it self drafted

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 17, 2013 11:30 am

      I started with New Look 6309, but modified it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: