Skip to content

Completed Project: The Sis Boom Jamie Dress

February 23, 2013

Hello, and thank you to those of you who commented on my last post congratulating me on the birth of Baba Tweedie 🙂

As I mentioned at the end of that post, I managed to sew myself a new dress by the time he was 4 weeks old: the Sis Boom Jamie dress.  The pattern was very simple; under normal circumstances I could have whipped this up very quickly, but newborn babies sure are demanding, and some days I did no sewing at all, other days I’d have a spare 5 or 10 minutes, and on rare occasions I’d have a spare hour.  I am determined to keep sewing, even if it’s taking me longer at the moment to complete my projects, and even if, sometimes, it means sewing whilst Baba Tweedie is attached to me in the sling:

The view from my chin!

The view from my chin!

I managed to insert the concealed zipper into this dress with Baba Tweedie in the sling.  Multi-tasking for the win!

So the dress is made with a khaki green polka dot cotton fabric I bought from Remnant House in Harrogate.  (I think it is classed as polka dot, rather than pin dot, because pin dots are smaller, but correct me if I am wrong!).  This dress pattern is not designed to be made with contrast fabric – that was my own spin on the design.  I used fabric from an old floral cotton maxi dress which no longer fitted, and cut the straps, waistband and hem band from it.  I’m really pleased with how it worked out:

The finished dress, modelled here by Delilah.

The finished dress, modelled here by Delilah.

The dress fastens with a side concealed zipper:

Side zip fastening

Side zip fastening

Here’s a closer look at the gathered bodice, straps and waistband:

Bodice of the Jamie Dress

Bodice of the Jamie Dress

And the view from the back:

Back view

Back view

I haven’t had chance to wear the dress properly yet, due to the weather and also it isn’t practical for breastfeeding, but I did have a quick try on after making it (over my jeans) and here is a low quality photo just to give you an idea of what it looks like on.  I’m looking forward to wearing it once the weather gets warmer here!

Quick trying on.

Quick trying on.

I’m pretty happy with this dress and I reckon I will make it again.  Hurray!  Watch this space for another new dress which I’ve almost finished…

10 Comments leave one →
  1. February 23, 2013 8:37 pm

I can see why you are pleased with it, it’s a pretty dress! I love the pairing of the fabric, it gives it a nice touch.

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      February 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks Inge! I was glad to be able to reuse the fabric from the maxi dress.

2. February 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I love this summer dress. It will look good at any length. At first I thought it was a short length and it’d look good full length too. I didn’t know there was a difference with dots as I thought they were all polka dots but it sounds reasonable to have pin dots too! Baba Tweedie looks so peaceful (and cute!) and will probably grow up to be a tailor!

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      February 24, 2013 12:44 pm

It actually turned out longer than I planned, it’s below the knee. I’ll have to see how it feels when I wear it and see if I want to take it up or not.

3. February 23, 2013 9:18 pm

This is absolutely rad! I’m loving the polka dot and floral mix- it’s like a super cute cummerbund for you 😀 Fab job and snaps for Baba for being such a rad assistant 😀

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      February 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks Amanda! Yes Baba Tweedie is very supportive and helpful in the sewing room! Hahaha!

4. February 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Aww, I’m glad to see it is possible to sew with a new baby! Pretty dress. I love the khaki green color.

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      February 25, 2013 10:47 am

It is possible! The amount of sewing you can get done is limited at first of course but once babies get into more of a routine it becomes easier. Not long for you now hey! 🙂

5. June 16, 2013 7:14 pm

I have always wondered if I could put my baby in the carrier and sew! Maybe I will try it now I’ve seen it worked for you. Mine is bigger though (7 months) and very fidgety so the chances of sleeping while I’m seated is low lol. I love all the dresses you have made 🙂

• tabathatweedie permalink*
      June 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you! I only did it when he was very little, I’m not sure if it would work now he’s 5 months old! Good luck though!