Skip to content

Completed Project: Style 4772 – 1974 Pattern

November 8, 2011

I found this Style pattern in a charity shop for 99p earlier this year, and the recent cold weather made me dig it out as I was longing to make myself a nice, cosy, long sleeved dress.  With that in mind I decided to make View 2 of the dress  in jersey, which called for several simple alterations, as the pattern is designed for woven rather than knit fabrics.

The beauty of sewing with jersey is that you can (depending on the design) pretty much eliminate the need to sew any closures because of the high amount of stretch.  With this in mind, I didn’t bother with the back zipper at all, and so I cut the back bodice piece on the fold rather than as two pieces.

I also closed the darts in the back bodice and the elbow darts in the sleeves – garments designed for jersey don’t normally have/need darts.  For the front bodice, I didn’t sew it closed at the top as the pattern instructed, otherwise I would not be able to get the dress on and off!  I figured the bow would keep the bodice closed at the top once the dress was on anyway.

I cut the skirt back and skirt front on the fold, to avoid a seam down the centre front and centre back, and the other main alteration was to lengthen the neck ties because I wanted to be able to tie them in a bow.

I bought hot pink jersey for this project (96% cotton, 4 % spandex – £2.50 per metre from Boyes) and I was absolutely terrified it would turn out disgusting.  I was mainly worried (as I always am with any pattern) that it would be too small.  Although the pattern is a size 14 it does say bust size 36″, which is 3″ smaller than mine!  In one way I was hoping the jersey stretch would take care of it, but I still had the following fears:

1) Not being able to get the dress on

2) Being able to get the dress on, but getting stuck in it

3) Looking like I’d been vacuum-packed into the dress i.e. bodice front gaping open, bra lines visible, tummy bulging, jersey stretched to the max… no one wants to see that

4) Wearing a high-neck hot pink dress would make me look like a crazy hot pink fool

5) Using a vintage pattern for a woven fabric to make something in modern hot pink jersey is a sewing crime and destroys the vintage appeal of the dress

Thankfully it turned out fine, not too tight at all.  Major relief!  I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out, bright pink and all.  It certainly isn’t perfect (the sleeves in particular), but it will definitely get worn this winter!  Assembling the dress was very quick as the instructions were really clear, the techniques were simple and I used my overlocker for all the seams.  I hand stitched the collar and cuff and machine hemmed the skirt.  All in all, it took 3-4 hours, which isn’t bad, and cost me around £8 to make, including the fabric, pattern and thread.  I’ll probably make another of these, but maybe not until next winter as I’ve got so many other patterns I’m impatient to begin!

Hot pink alert!

PINK. And in case anyone is remotely interested, my tights are from Dorothy Perkins...

13 Comments leave one →
  1. November 8, 2011 2:09 pm

    That is adorable!

  2. November 8, 2011 2:53 pm

    How fabulous!

  3. lazystitcher permalink
    November 8, 2011 3:24 pm

    I love it with the tights!

  4. November 8, 2011 6:52 pm

    So cute! I love this in pink- excellent job!

  5. November 9, 2011 10:30 am

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I just adore this Style pattern and that fabric is divine!

  6. tabathatweedie permalink*
    November 9, 2011 1:56 pm

    Thank you everyone for the compliments! [blush] 😀

  7. November 12, 2011 6:47 am

    It looks great, and the hot pink made me smile! Definitely make another!

  8. November 13, 2011 7:56 am

    cute! love converting to eliminate zippers and such…same fears though…trying to dress “F” cups is not an easy task!

  9. December 5, 2011 10:34 pm

    very pretty.

  10. December 6, 2011 5:27 am

    Very pretty – esp with the tights & boots! 🙂

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      December 7, 2011 1:41 pm

      Thanks Anna!

  11. May 4, 2012 10:30 am

    Very cute, such a lovely cut and the bow neck is so pretty!

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      May 8, 2012 9:02 pm

      Thank you! The bow neck was my idea – the pattern is for a neckerchief style tie but I really wanted a bow so I just lengthened the pieces!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: