Skip to content

Burda 9750 – Pattern Review

August 1, 2011

I have made TEN versions of this dress since June 2010, so it is high time I wrote a review of the pattern.  I will incorporate photographs of all the versions I’ve made for you to see – expect for a grey needlecord version which unfortunately I don’t have a photo of, and it’s now packed away in the loft!

My first version of the dress, made with ready-prepared patchwork fabric from John Lewis

Pattern Description: 

The pattern doesn’t really have a description other than that it is ‘fitted’.  It’s a basic dress with bias bound armholes and neckline and button fastening at the back.  It has options for patch pockets and trim.

Red Polka Dot cotton with patch packets and broderie anglaise trim on bodice and hem

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? 

Yes, all the dresses looked as pictured on the envelope.

I've made two, almost identical versions of this dress (one for my daughter and one for someone else)

Were the instructions easy to follow? 

The instructions are very easy to follow.  This is a very simple dress to make.

I used ready-made bias binding for this version and black velvet ribbon trim on the bodice

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I just love how quick and easy this pattern is to make up.  For a 6 month dress I found you only need 55cm of fabric (even though it says 65cm on the envelope) so it’s perfect for using up leftovers, or fabric taken from pre-existing clothing (my Hawaiian print version used to be a skirt, and the black and white version pictured below used to be a dress).  As a Mum I have found it practical and hard-wearing, and most importantly easy to put on and take off.

I used a contrast fabric for the bodice for this version

Fabric Used: 

I’ve used mainly cottons for this dress, but I think it would work well in just about any fabric.  The fabric recommendations on the pattern are cotton fabrics, lightweight denims and linen.

This version is made with a light cotton voile

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

When I’ve had limited fabric I’ve used ready-made bias binding for the armholes and neck, and contrasting fabric for the bodice pieces.  For my cherry print version (pictured last) I used bias binding to create piping along the bottom of the bodice and used it to finish the raw edges too.  I also used the bodice pieces of this pattern as a guide to help me draft a fully gathered, longer skirt version.

Similar bodice but with a fully gathered, ankle length skirt

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I sew this pattern regularly for my daughter and to give as gifts to new babies.  I wouldn’t be without it.

Piped on bodice seam and raw edges bias bound

Conclusion:

I love this pattern.  It’s quick, easy, cheap, versatile and practical.  What more could I ask for?!  I have other patterns for baby dresses which are untouched because I find this one so easy to make again and again.

The back view - simple button fastening

6 Comments leave one →
  1. August 2, 2011 9:24 am

    Thanks for a lovely pattern review Tabatha, I wasn’t aware of this pattern but your dresses are so lovely that I’m very tempted to buy it! Do the instructions include how to add piping etc? I’m sure I could easily find out online anyway, just wondering…

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      August 2, 2011 11:15 am

      Hiya! The instructions tell you how to add ribbon trim to the bodice/skirt seam and to the hem, but not specifically how to add piping. I just used piping cord and pre-made bias binding to make the piping, and then sewed it in along the seamline. I’m sure it’s well within the realms of your capabilities! I’d definitely recommend the pattern if you can find it – I bought it only last year from John Lewis, think it only cost about a fiver and it goes up to age 3 so if you trace out the pattern in different sizes you can use it again and again!

  2. claire permalink
    March 11, 2016 2:19 pm

    Hi! On my pattern it says I should cut some interfacing, but it surprisingly says I should cut the back yoke .. and the back skirt?Should I assume it’s a typo and just cut front and back yoke for the interfacing? Many thanks xx

    • tabathatweedie permalink*
      March 15, 2016 7:28 am

      Hi, the bit that is interfaced is the strip that folds inwards at the centre back, where your buttons and button holes go. So yes, you do need to cut the strip for the bodice and the skirt to reinforce the button fastening. Hope that helps.

Trackbacks

  1. The girliest dress I have ever made! « Thread Carefully
  2. Red Octurber – Simplicity 2444 | Thread Carefully

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: