Completed Project: New Look 6824
Hola! I’m finally getting round to showing you one of the dresses I made back in March – New Look 6824. It’s a lovely pattern, and very simple to do as it only has a few pattern pieces, and it’s fully lined. It uses princess seams instead of darts, which I infinitely prefer because they are easier to sew. Not that darts are difficult to sew, but they’re just a bit fiddly, and, given the opportunity, I like to be lazy.
I made this dress with some navy and white polka dot fabric from Boyes that was as cheap as chips. Cheaper, in fact, and healthier, and longer-lasting. But probably not as tasty. I’ll stop comparing my new dress to chips now. Sorry about that.
The fabric faded quite a lot when I prewashed it, which I shouldn’t complain about seeing as the fabric was so cheap, but I’m still going to complain because it makes fascinating reading: yes, it was cheap, but then again so was the gingham I used for my Gertie Shirtwaist dress, and so is the poplin I regularly use from Boyes, and yet both of these are significantly higher quality and neither fade. I was a bit disappointed, but didn’t fancy buying new fabric, so I just decided to embrace the faded look!
I lined it with an old bed sheet that was going spare, so this dress cost next to nothing to make! Hurray! Add to that the fact that it was super-easy to sew, and you’ve got one very happy lady. The dress has quite a 50s vibe going on, which means it’s flattering for big bums! And as for boobies, one weird thing about this dress is how it seems to make me look flat chested: I say this is weird because there are some 32GGs lurking under there!
Anyway, that’s about all I have to say about this dress and pattern. Onto the photos – and there are a lot of them as we got a bit carried away:
So there you have it, a bunch of photos of me looking silly but wearing a pretty dress, and pretty red shoes with a sparkly bow, which are made by Firetrap, by the way, just in case you wanted to track down a pair for yourself ;-)