Two Colette Chantilly dresses… and a giveaway!
I made my first Colette Chantilly as part of my April Challenge, and it was a challenging experience, partly due to the lining fabric I had chosen, and partly due to my own inability to tell left from right. I was using the floatiest, lightest, stretchiest and most prone-to-warping lining fabric in the world, which, once stitched, was so delicate it could not be unpicked. It’s lovely and soft to wear, but it was extremely difficult to work with. Also, the gathering went wrong – you know when you start gathering and then, snap! So I just tried to fudge it with only one gathering thread (because I am lazy) and that was wholly unsatisfactory. It caused me to shake my fists and cry out to the sewing gods WHY WHY WHY, but they were probably considering smiting me by that point for committing crimes against the laws of sewing. Then, to make matters worse, I got myself all confused about sides. You know when you get mixed up with left and right? (Just humour me here, please!) Because when you’ve got a lining facing in and a main fabric facing out – the left and right are harder to figure out, especially if you’re an idiot like me. You can’t just hold it up any old way and say “Yeah, that’s the left side and that’s the right side”. You’ve got to hold it up against yourself as it would eventually be worn. You’ve got to label it, clearly, as I’m sure you, dear readers, would have done in the first place.
But then…it was done. My frustration with myself was over and could be forgotten. I started to enjoy wearing the dress – I even wore it to one of the four weddings I attended this year with a fancy, swishy petticoat underneath (see below). The dress has been admired by all who have seen it. And did I mention it is comfortable? Because it really is. IT DOES NOT DIG IN. IT DOES NOT RIDE UP. That sort of thing is important to me. There’s even room for cake expansion.
A few months ago, I bought the Colette Éclair pattern and 4m of suitably wintery cotton lawn to make it with, intending the dress to be my Christmas dress. But then I started drafting my pattern for the Vertigo dress (and a post on my progress with that will appear in the next month or so, I promise), and I realised I didn’t need another boned, corset-style dress, so I set the Éclair pattern aside for now and decided to use my fabric to make another Chantilly. I figured it’s pretty, it’s comfortable, it’s versatile – it’s everything I need from a Christmas dress. I’ve already made it once before, so I know what to do, and I know it will fit! Yes! What could possibly go wrong…?
NOTHING! I didn’t make any mistakes, I didn’t get confused, it all went smoothly, and I’m over the moon with the finished dress.
The hard work really was worthwhile, and I love my two dresses – they’re pretty and comfortable and flattering – but I’ve now decided I’d like to send the pattern to a new home – to someone who wants to make this for themselves. I traced the pattern, so it is uncut and in very good condition. If you think you would like to win it:
1) Leave a comment on this post telling me what your most challenging make so far has been
For bonus entries, you could also…
1) Tweet about your entry using the hashtag #threadcarefullygiveaway
2) Visit our facebook page and leave a comment there (http://www.facebook.com/threadcarefully)
3) Blog about the giveaway with a link back to this post
The giveaway is open worldwide and you can enter until Monday 12th December at 18:00 GMT. Don’t forget to leave your email address. Good luck!
PS. I can’t promise that the winner will receive the pattern in time for Christmas – it all depends on the postal service, the weather etc.